Wednesday, September 24, 2008

With Time Alone...

This evening, with only a few minutes of day light left, Braelyn and I decided to go for a walk. While I was making my way around the trail, I started thinking about a blog I read recently. The author discussed how we, especially parents, don't ever really get time alone. We might get a few minutes here, or an hour there, but rarely do we have a significant chunk of time to just be alone to think or pray or read or whatever.

So I started wondering...What would I do with serious time alone? What if I had 5 whole days, completely to myself? What would I do? What would I try to accomplish?

Well, besides sleeping in, and reading, and blogging, and all those things we dream of doing "if only we had more time," ...I think I would actually try to get ideas together for a children's book. I think of doing this often, but as soon as I let my mind start thinking creatively...there's laundry to do or games to play or dinner to make. I'm not complaining. I love doing those things and I wouldn't trade it for anything, even if it means I never write a book in my life. But, I just find it hard to think fully and completely about other things, whether it be writing a book, or a craft project or planning a surprise for my husband or decorating my home. It just gets a little frustrating sometimes. Anybody with me? (I don't think this feeling is reserved for just moms...I felt the same way when I was working...perhaps even more.)

But that's what I would do, I think. And maybe during my 5 days I would find out that I am not a children's book author...and that's fine, but...I don't know. I need time to figure that out.

So now, I'm curious. What would you do with 5 days (or maybe just 3, or even 1) alone, with no distractions?

6 comments:

Casey Cease said...

5 Days, no wife, no kid. Sounds like youth camp... Seriously, I would probably spend some time sleeping, walking around, reading, writing, and planning out the rest of our life (for the year, most likely). However, I fantasize about time alone, but when you and B are actually gone, I miss you terribly and am pretty much useless... Perhaps that is a good thing, or I'm co-dependent in the worst way... I guess I would probably need to plan it out beforehand in order to be fruitful. Not sure what that would be... Book ideas? Business ideas? Ministry ideas? All of the above? None of the above? Well, thanks for another sleepless night since this is all I will be able to think about... What a nightmare! ;-) J/K

Love You!

C-

Abba's Girl said...

I used to know what I would do with 5 days alone, no istractions, but I cannot remember that far back...

Andy said...

gab and i often dream about what life would be like if we had 5 days free to do whatever we like...and it's always sad when we realize we have to get up and go to work the next day.

if i had the time alone, i'd prob waste the first day sleeping and messing around on the computer, then spend the next days painting, writing, and generally staring at the countryside and pondering god. probably wouldn't get anything accomplished, but i'd sure be refreshed and very ready to see my wife and friends again!

Anonymous said...

I think I am with Casey on this one. I don't like being away from Jason and Noah for very long. I also don't think I could do 5 days alone with nothing to do. I get bored easily! I would have to leave the house at some point and go do something (which I am doing next weekend when the boys are gone). I am not a very good "alone" person. :)

Alicia

crystal said...

Do we get to pick where we spend our 5 days? Cause if so, there's a little cabin in Wimberly where I would spend mine. It has its own private pool and a jacuzzi tub. And a beautiful porch/deck. I would definitely start every morning on the porch with coffee, my journal and Bible, and no time limit. I would like to go in the summer so I can float in the pool too. I would probably like to go to the spa for one of the days. And then I would spend the rest of the time sleeping or reading about 15 books that are on my list of books that I have been wanting to read.

Anonymous said...

I decided to clarify my comment. Having spent 6 months alone with no kid and no husband (just pregnant, hubby overseas) I think I got my fill of alone time. :)

Alicia