Monday, April 7, 2008

My Favorite Spring Dish

~Cold Chicken and Rice Salad~

This cold chicken and rice salad is so yummy and super healthy...I just have to share it. It takes some time to prepare, but the recipe makes a lot, so you can eat it all week long, or it would work great for a crowd.

Ingredients:
~2lbs cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
~2/3 cups low fat mayo
~1/3 cup skim milk
~1/3 cup lemon juice
~2-3 celery stalks, diced
~1 can water chestnuts, diced
~1 box wild grain rice (I use Uncle Ben's fast cook recipe)
~5 green onions, diced
~handful of purple grapes, halved
~handful of cashews, halved

Cook rice according to directions and let cool. In the meantime, chop your chicken, veggies and grapes. When rice and chicken are cool, combine rice, chicken, veggies, grapes and cashews in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, lemon juice and mayo until smooth. Pour over the chicken and rice mixture. Mix well. Set in the refrigerator at least a couple of hours before serving, but it's twice as delicious the next day! Enjoy!

4 comments:

Abba's Girl said...

I'll give this a try over the weekend. Got any ideas for a snack for my Bible study group tomorrow night. I am not inspired to provide snacks, but am inspired to dig into the Word.

Casey Cease said...

Looks delish! ;-)

Lynnette said...

That looks so yummy. Here it is nearly midnight and I wish I had some in the fridge!!

Alex & Tonya said...

Looks yummy. I am going to have to give it a try. :) Thanks!